n

Mar 31, 2009

Nice Accident

by Bob Setzer, Jr.
I had a really nice auto accident the other day. Well, “nice” as automobile accidents go.

It was a fender bender outside a convenience store. I was pumping gas when a big, late-model pickup started backing in my direction. I quickly reached inside my car and sat on the horn but the truck kept coming. A fleeting second later, I heard the sickening crunch of metal on metal as my ‘96 Camry fender bravely faced off against a shiny steel pickup bumper. My fender lost.

The driver of the pickup pulled his vehicle away from mine, then got out and headed in my direction. He was a stately, elderly gentleman. “Tried to warn you with my horn,” I said, as he walked up.

“Sorry, I didn’t hear it,” he said. “Have a little problem with my hearing.” He then apologized for hitting my car and took complete responsibility for the accident. No excuses, no second guessing, no playing the blame-game. At his suggestion, we called local law enforcement to file an accident report.

We then exchanged insurance information and called his provider. A pleasant and helpful lady walked us through the process of filing a claim. Between being put on hold--and passing my cell phone back and forth as the phone interview progressed--the other gentleman and I got acquainted. He retired from Dixie Auto Parts in downtown Macon when the business closed in ‘96. ‘96 was when I arrived in downtown Macon. Sorry I missed him. I didn’t have the heart to tell my newfound friend he hit a preacher. Somehow I knew that would hit him pretty hard.

A patrol car pulled up and the officer got out, pad in hand. I told him we had determined no accident report was needed. He smiled, said “Thanks,” and took off to his next call.

By the time our phone call to the insurance carrier was done, I had a claim number and instructions on where to take my car for repair. A rental car would be waiting. I thanked the lady on the phone for her professionalism and kindness. “Where are you located?,” I asked.

“I’m in Macon,” she answered. “And I’m so glad to talk with you two because I never get a local call from Macon!” I was proud she was a Macon gal.

My newfound friend and I parted. I promised to let him know how things unfolded. The whole experience left me greatly encouraged. Just imagine “what a wonderful world this would be” if everybody accepted responsibility when needed, made amends, and parted friends.

That’s what Jesus intended. And in one little corner of the world on a busy Friday afternoon, that’s what happened.

(For March 22, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment