n

May 5, 2009

The Swine Line

by Bob Setzer, Jr.
When I was a child, my mother didn’t teach me to live in mortal fear of airborne diseases that might do me harm. Instead, she taught me to wash my hands after going to the potty and before meals. She taught me to cover my mouth when I sneezed. She taught me to eat right and get a good night’s sleep, then throw myself into the joys and challenges of the day without fear or foreboding: "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might!" (Ecc. 9:10).

When I was a child, my mother didn’t teach me to be afraid of strangers. She taught me to be cautious about people I didn’t know who approached me with unusual requests and certainly not to get in a car with someone I didn’t know. But she also taught me the world is full of fascinating people, most of whom are a delight: "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some have entertained angels unawares" (Heb. 13:2).

When I was a child, my mother didn’t teach me to shrink from people who showed up at the door trying to peddle strange religious ideas. Instead, she taught me to greet them with both Christian civility and candor, with an open Bible in hand, ever ready to "give a reason for the hope that is within you" (1 Peter 3:15).

When I was a child, my mother didn’t teach me to fret unduly about financial pressures. Instead, she taught me to put my extra money in a piggy bank, to give ten cents of every dollar to Jesus and the church, and to trust God to "supply all your needs according to his riches in Christ Jesus" (Phil. 4:19).

In short, my mother taught me I was not alone in the world. Yes, there would come a time when she could no longer guide and protect me, but my life was in stronger, more able hands than hers. Yes, there were real perils and threats to be faced, but such challenges could be met in the confidence there was nothing Jesus and I couldn’t handle together: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" (Phil 4:13).

From the recent swine flu hysteria to the next alarmist news buzz of the week, I grow weary of people--even the well-intentioned--trying to scare me into buying their product, join their movement, or share their jaded view of the world. Instead of cowering in fear, my mama taught me to trust and live Jesus’ promise: "In the world you will have trouble, but be of good cheer. I have overcome the world!" (John 13:33).

Children don’t need to grow up scared to death. They need to grow up with the faith to live their dreams. My mama taught me that. And so on this Mother’s Day in the year of our Lord 2009, I "rise up and called her blessed" (Prov. 31:28).

No comments:

Post a Comment