n

Jun 24, 2009

The Point of Worship

by Bob Setzer, Jr.
This week, someone asked me for the Bible reference to the “quiver of arrows” I mentioned in last Sunday’s sermon. He remembered this verse as likening “the children of one’s youth” to a bountiful supply of arrows. The verse he was searching for is Psalm 127:4-5. The only problem was--if indeed, it was a problem--I made no such reference in my sermon.

This sort of thing happens to me a lot. People hear all sorts of things in sermons I don’t remember saying. In some cases, they are simply mistaken; in others, I surely am. But there is another reason people often hear things in sermons I didn’t actually say: maybe I’m not the one doing the talking. We gather in worship to hear the Word of God, after all.

In fairness to my friend searching for the quiver of arrows, I did use the expression “wild quiver of joy” in my sermon. Apparently at that point, his mind skipped a track and he went merrily on his way chasing a holy rabbit. At least he was thinking about the Bible!

Some preachers and worshipers find such holy rabbit chasing deeply troubling. The preacher’s job, they seem to believe, is to make sure everyone hangs on the preacher’s every word. Toward that end, some pastors expect people to take notes on the sermon or at the very least, doggedly follow the PowerPoint presentation.

But what if the point of worship and preaching is not to get every word in the preacher’s head into the head of every worshiper with as few transmission errors as possible? What if the point of preaching and worship is instead to create a context for hearing what God has to say to you, second person singular? What if a sort of sanctified mind-wandering if one of the primary ways God’s word speaks to us where we need it most?

In a recent issue of Discover magazine, researchers report that even when concentrating, the mind spends as much as 50 percent of its time not focused on the task at hand. And the mind does some of its most important work while “wandering,” a sort of waking dream, in which the mind searches for solutions not immediately evident to the conscious brain.

We might as well be honest: that’s the way most people hear a sermon. Hopefully, the hearer is snagged by a point, phrase, or image that fires the imagination. Then he or she checks out of the sermon long enough to probe the feeling or idea evoked by the preacher’s words. Sometimes the listener spends a few seconds, or a few minutes, wrestling with him or herself in the presence of God’s people and God’s Word. And often, it is during those private moments of reflection that the sword of God’s truth finds its mark and the Holy Spirit exclaims, “Gotcha!”

I don’t take offense when minds wander during my sermons. In fact, I rather expect it, indeed, I count on it. For it’s when the defenses are down that God’s Spirit is mostly likely to scale the walls of an unwitting worshiper’s heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment